Cunningham School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Cunningham School
Cunningham School.jpg
Active 1910–1960s
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades 1-5
Colors
Mascot
Location 700 40th Street North, (map)
Birmingham

James B. Cunningham School was an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 40th Street and 7th Avenue North in East Birmingham. It was built in 1910 at a cost of $70,000 and named for former Paul Hayne School and Central High School principal J. B. Cunningham.

The building had 18 classrooms and, by 1923, was overcrowded with 946 students. A report on the physical condition of the school by F. B. Dressler of the U.S. Bureau of Education found the building adequate, but improperly oriented for daylighting.

Principals

References