Ensley Highlands Presbyterian Church
Ensley Highlands Presbyterian Church was a Presbyterian church located at 2633 Ensley-Five Points West Avenue in the Ensley Highlands section of Ensley from 1901 to 1991. Attendance declined sharply after the 1960s, from about 300 a week to less than 20.
After the congregation disbanded, the Presbytery of Sheppards and Lapsley attempted to interest area residents in an outreach program called the Community Presbyterian Fellowship, but the effort failed and the church's doors were closed in 1992. The church building, further damaged by severe weather events, was demolished in January 2020.
Ensley Highlands Presbyterian's 1926 E. M. Skinner organ, an instrument of 17 ranks and 1,224 pipes, was removed from the building in 2010 for restoration and reuse in the chapel at South Highlands Presbyterian Church, now the church home of many former Ensley Highlands Presbyterian members.
The church's Frank Moore Cross Educational Building is currently used by Aletheia House for its employment training center.
- Lauren Brubaker (1920s)
- Frank Cross (1929-30s, 1930s-1960)
- Peter Blair (1960s, 1970s)
- Sidney Leak (1980s)
- Stella Moore (Community Presbyterian Fellowship, 1991-1992)
- "Cumberland Presbyterian Church Organized at Ensley" (February 14, 1901) Marion County News
- Garrison, Greg (March 20, 2010) "Old Ensley Highlands Presbyterian organ reclaimed from empty church." The Birmingham News