Ferd Marx Store
The Ferd Marx Dry Goods Co. (commonly Ferd Marx Store) was a department store operated by Ferdinand Marx at the corner of 19th Street and 2nd Avenue North from the 1890s to 1899 and then at 1920-22 2nd Avenue North until closing in 1911. The building was leased from John Webb, and passed to his daughter, Columbia McCoy at his death in 1901.
The store was known for its high-fashion ladies' hats, and expanded into men's haberdashery in 1899.
The company was reorganized with $100,000 of capital on January 28, 1904 with Ferd Marx, Otto Marx, V. H. Marx, E. K. Campbell and Eugene Enslen as officers. However the store closed before February 1911 and the stock and fixtures were offered for sale.
Marx went on to become president of the Lafayette Importing Company, a major millenary concern located on 5th Avenue in New York City in 1917.
- "The Organization of the Leon Rheims Company to Continue Under the Name of the Lafeyette Importing Company, Inc." (February 1917) The Millinery Trade Review' p. 91