German Society of Birmingham
- This article is about the 1880s social club. For the modern club, see Freunde Deutscher Sprache und Kultur.
The German Society of Birmingham was organized in 1884 as a social club to cultivate the science of German music and art. By 1886 the club had 70 members and held regular meetings on the first and third Sundays of each month at Sublett Hall, 2013 2nd Avenue North. It organized Birmingham's first Mardi Gras celebration in 1886.
During the 1880s, The German Society successfully petitioned Birmingham Public Schools to begin instruction of the German Language. The club initially paid one half of the salary of the professor hired to give instruction in the language.
- Pocket Business Directory and Guide to Birmingham, Ala. (1887) - accessed January 16, 2007
- Jefferson County and Birmingham Historical and Biographical (1887) - accessed February 16, 2020