Iron Bowl Speedway
The Iron Bowl Speedway was a 3/8th-mile oval dirt track speedway used for auto racing in the 1940s and 1950s. It was located on Tarrant-Huffman Road, in a ravine also known as Boggs Hollow across from Higgins Cemetery. The track office was located at 1310 1/2 1st Avenue North.
J. P. Rotton Jr and Shine Franklin opened the road track in 1939. The track hosted mostly IMCA races until closing for World War II in 1942. After activities resumed in 1946 most of the races were for stock cars under the Birmingham Racing Club banner and the track was converted into an oval. In the 1950s, the Iron Bowl Speedway organization was also contracted to promote and manage stock car races at the Birmingham International Raceway.
The Iron Bowl Speedway closed in 1961.