Jefferson County Family Court
Jefferson County Family Court, formerly the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of Jefferson County, is a section of the Jefferson County court system which adjudicates cases involving children, including delinquency, parental rights, custody, child support, and protection from abuse. The Family Court does not hold jury trials for criminal prosecutions.
The section operates from its own courthouse building at 120 2nd Court North in Smithfield, with some services available in the Jefferson County Court House in the Bessemer Division. The G. Ross Bell Youth Detention Center is located adjacent to the Family Court Building.
In addition to adjudications and enforcement, the Jefferson County Family Court administers counseling, drug and violence intervention, special advocates, and electronic monitoring, and coordinates training for probation officers and volunteer services.
Judges and staff
- Presiding Circuit Court Judge: Janine Hunt-Hilliard
- District Court Judge: Pamela Cousins, Lorraine Pringle, and Alan Summers
- Referees: Amyrtle Allen, Alisha Ruffin, and Benjamin Larkin
- Chief Clerk: Lakita Hall-Wright
- Court Administrator / Chief Probation Officer: James Fields
- Deputy Court Administrator: Vanessa Jones
- Director of Intake: Georgia Brennan
- Director of Probation: Gwendolyn Reasor
- Director of Programs: Shaniqua Hunter
- Jefferson County Family Court website