The Kessler Building, also known as Kessler Lofts and originally called the Allen Building, is a 14,000 square-foot, 4-story commercial building built by B. H. Allen in 1890 for his produce and commission store at 1924–1926 3rd Avenue North.
After it was damaged in a fire in 1911, the masonry facade was renewed with a multi-colored brick pattern. Adolph Kessler Jr opened his Kessler's department store in the building in 1915. A $50,000 renovation undertaken by Kessler's son Simon in 1959 brought modern interior fixtures, lighting and decor, including a pink and black granite floor with brass inlay on the ground level.
The building has been converted into 7 loft apartments and ground-floor retail space by Dr. James Taylor, Sr and his family. His Taylor & Company LLC purchased the building from the Owens and Woods Partnership in August 2004. A roof deck has also been added for use by residents.
|3rd Avenue North
- Basil Allen (1905)
- C. W. Collins Jr (1905)
- J. L. Sims (1905)
- William McCrossin attorney (1905)
- Birmingham Inferior Court (1905)
- Moses Crittenden (1905)
- "Remodeling work begun on Kessler's downtown" (July 1959) Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Wilkinson, Kaija (January 27, 2006). "Activity reverses years of decline." Birmingham Business Journal.
- Short, Dale (Fall 2006). "Recreating the Magic: Birmingham's City Center Revives." UAB Magazine.
- Kessler Lofts web site