List of Birmingham homicides in 2001
This is a List of Birmingham homicides in 2001. It includes homicide cases occuring within the city limits during the calendar year. Note that not all homicides are ultimately ruled to be murder in courts of law.
Listing by date
- This list is incomplete. You can help Bhamwiki by expanding it.
- May 14: Lawrence Jones shot once each by Jeremy Williams, 23 and Marvin Harris, 24, during a robbery instigated by Jones' daughter, Aretha Harris, 15. All three have been convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- October 1: Derrick Charles, 17, shot by girlfriend's husband at their house in Pratt City. Marcus Head, a fugitive for 4 years after the attack, was captured in Cincinnati. He was convicted of capital murder and two counts of attempted murder, and sentenced to life without parole. report
- 61. October 23: Herman Danels III, 33, was ambushed and killed at his home on Graymont Avenue. James Cooper and Aaron C. Freeman were charged in the murder. Cooper was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Freeman pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 20 years with 5 to serve. He was released in 2006 and died in an April 2009 shootout in Druid Hills. report
- November 20: Kimberly Roy, 29, was found shot to death with another woman in a burned vehicle at Sycamore Avenue and Camden Drive in Roosevelt City. Cameron Antoin Rayford was arrested in January 2012 after a witness came forward leading investigators to a suspect in a drug transaction that ended in murder. Rayford was charged initially with capital murder, and skipped bail. He was captured in Virginia in May and brought back to Alabama for trial before Judge David Carpenter. Prosecutors had difficulty securing enough witness testimony for trial and Rayford accepted a deal to plead guilty to provocation manslaughter and drug trafficking. In August 2014 Carpenter gave him a 20-year split sentence with four years to serve. Carpenter signed a warrant for his arrest for violation of probation on November 20, 2019. He was arrested in January 2020 and charged with the murder of Justin Rayshun Johnson in December 2019. (report)
- November 20: Sandie Lyn Mitchell, 28, was found shot to death alongside Roy.
- November 22: Cornelius Sumlin, 23, was found shot to death on his living room floor. Jason Maurice Jones was arrested and charged with murder, but the charges were dismissed in January 2002. (report)
- December: Carlos Williams, 21, was shot and killed by Birmingham Police officer Lorenzo Hughes during an arrest. An investigation determined that Hughes fired in self-defense as Williams had gone into a bedroom and returned wielding a handgun. (report)