Maxwell Plantation

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Maxwell Plantation is a 2,463-acre cattle ranch and estate with four miles of frontage on the Black Warrior River south of Tuscaloosa.

The plantation was established in 1852 by James Robert Maxwell.

The 12,000 square foot plantation home, called Honeysuckle Hill, has six bedrooms and 5 and a half baths.

The property also includes a 3000-foot landing strip and hangar, two stocked lakes, an irrigated 235-acre pasture, a farm manager's house, a horse barn, and several storage buildings.

The Maxwell Plantation property was planned to be auctioned in July 2010. That auction fell through, but the property, excluding the mansion itself, was sold to David Hudson Jr and T. Wayne Hocutt, owners of Dixie Pulp & Paper, for $8.5 million in September 2010. Prior to the sale, the plantation was owned by Grady Pugh, a contractor convicted in 2006 of bribery in the Jefferson County sewer construction scandal.

References