Phillips Administration Building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Phillips Administration Building, originally the M. Paul Phillips Library and later the M. Paul Phillips Building is a 3-story office building located on the academic quad at Birmingham-Southern College.

The building was erected in 1923 as a research library, made possible by a $50,000 gift from Steel City Lumber Company president M. Paul Phillips, a close friend of Birmingham-Southern president Guy Snavely. Earl Cline was the contractor for the project, which was constructed of fire-proof brick.

Between 1929 and 1935 the Carnegie Foundation provided the library with a total of $52,500 to purchase art books and prints, to fund general acquisitions, to acquire reference materials, and to equip the Phillips Library with steel shelving and desks. Miller, Martin & Lewis Architects performed architectural services to accommodate the new equipment in 1932.

The building was remodeled for science laboratories in 1951. Renovation and equipment costs ran to approximately $500,000.

The Charles Andrew Rush Learning Center and N. E. Miles Library was completed in 1976. The Phillips building was remodeled as an administrative office building housing the college's admissions and financial aid departments. It also included administrative and rehearsal facilities for the Birmingham-Southern College Symphonic Band and Birmingham-Southern College Jazz Band.


  • "Birmingham Has Good Building Year" (January 25, 1924) The Dixie Manufacturer. Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 7-8
  • Sims, Katherine (October 22, 1937) "College Library Developed From Single Room Affair With Two Thousand Books To Present M. Paul Phillips Building." The Gold and Black. Vol. 20, No. 6, p. 1