Regional Poison Control Center
The Regional Poison Control Center in Birmingham was founded in 1958 by Children's Hospital resident Don Palmer as the 14th poison control center in the United States. It is now one of 59 such centers operating under a nationwide network reachable at 1-800-212-1222.
The center is housed at the Southeast Child Safety Institute at 1600 7th Avenue South by Children's Hospital, which is also its primary source of funding. Other supporters include the UAB Department of Pediatrics, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, and the Centers for Disease Control. Paul Palmisano became the center's first full-time medical director in 1966. The current director is Bill King, who has worked at the center since 1977.
- Parks, Dave (March 17, 2008) "Regional Poison Control Center marks 50th year." Birmingham News