Shelby Biomedical Research Building
The Richard C. and Annette N. Shelby Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Building or Shelby Biomedical Research Building is a 340,000 square foot research center located at 1825 University Boulevard, on the southwest corner of its intersection with 19th Street South in the UAB Campus.
The $90 million, 12-story building was constructed on the former site of Mortimer Jordan Hall. It was designed by CUH2A, Inc. of Princeton, New Jersey, and built by Hoar Contruction and Taylor & Miree. Ground was broken on April 29, 2002, and the building was dedicated on April 3, 2006.
It is named for Senator Richard Shelby and his wife, Annette. Shelby was instrumental in securing federal funding to support the project.