Shelby Hall Research Center (Building #1251) is a 227,000 square-foot academic building located at the University of Alabama. Constructed in 2004, the center houses the Department of Chemistry, including research centers focusing on transportation, geosciences, energy, biosciences, and chemical and material sciences.
The classically-styled brick and limestone building consists of five rectangular sections forming a pentagon around an elliptical courtyard. The entrance is through a domed pavilion. The building was designed by HOK Architects of Kansas City, Missouri and built for just over $46 million by Batson-Cook Construction of West Point, Georgia. It is named for Richard Shelby and his wife Annette.
Shelby Hall contains more than 70 research labs, five teaching laboratories, three large lecture halls, 40 faculty and staff offices, and 80 offices for graduate researchers. A self-contained energy plant serves the building. An on-site glassblowing studio supplies the chemistry labs with glassware and the C-Store convenience store is located on the ground floor.
- Shelby Hall at ua.edu