Steel City Classic
The Steel City Classic was an annual college football game between Miles College of Fairfield and Stillman College of Tuscaloosa, and was played at Legion Field between 2001 and 2006. The winner was awarded the Steel Cross trophy. The first game between the two schools was played in 1930, but was interrupted following the disbandment of the Stillman program in 1950. The series was revived in 2001 as the Steel City Classic following the reinstatement of Stillman football in 1999. The 2007 edition was played at Stillman Stadium in Tuscaloosa, marking the end of the series as the Steel City Classic. As the Classic, Miles would win 5 contests and only lose once.
The 2006 edition of the Classic was played on September 24 and televised nationally on ESPNU. Although struggling on offense in gaining only 3 yards rushing on 29 attempts and 124 yards through the air, Miles was victorious 21-14.
The 2004 edition was played on September 26, with Stillman collecting their lone win in the Classic before 7,581 fans by a final score of 17-14. The victory marked only the second all-time win by the Tigers against Miles and the first since 1940.
The 2002 edition was played on October 5, with Miles victorious by a final score of 35-20. The Golden Bears defense held Stillman to only 23 rushing yards with the offense rushing for 274 yards in the win.
The inaugural 2001 edition was played on September 29, with Miles victorious by a final score of 24-22. The Golden Bears would win the game after Roderick Jones kicked a 19-yard field goal with 1:01 left in the fourth quarter.
- Muro, Louis (September 25, 2005) "Teams excited about national exposure." The Birmingham News
- Veazey, Kyle (September 27, 2004) "QB helps Stillman to first Classic win." The Birmingham News
- Muro, Louis (October 5, 2003) "Smith delivers in clutch." The Birmingham News
- Muro, Louis (October 6, 2002) "Bears turn to turnovers to turn back Tigers." The Birmingham News
- Muro, Louis (September 30, 2001) "Jones kicks last minute field goal to win Classic." The Birmingham News