Villas at Titusville
The Villas at Titusville (formerly proposed as "Westwood Green") is a 164-unit mixed income residential development on the site of the former 500-unit Loveman Village housing project in North Titusville.
In 2010 the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District contracted with Columbia Residential of Atlanta, Georgia to redevelop the site. The Boulevard Group, which managed Tuxedo Terrace, was asked to apply for a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Hope VI grant to help fund the redevelopment, which was then planned to have 280 units open to a mixture of subsidized and market-rate renters.
The City of Birmingham, Hollyhand Development of Northport, the Alabama Housing Finance Authority, and BBVA joined as development partners as the project progressed. The number of units to be built on the Titusville was later reduced to 220, and then to 164.
In March 2016 HABD announced that they had applied for $15-20 million in low-income tax credits to help fund the first phase of a four-part $79.6 million redevelopment over several sites. In the first phase, 100 of 164 new units would be rebuilt on the same site, designed to blend in better with the character of the surrounding neighborhood and to provide additional green space. Another 120 apartments would be built on land owned by the HABD on Sydney Drive in Oxmoor Valley. Additional new units would be constructed at various other sites to maintain the same total number available to tenants.
- Gray, Jeremy (November 9, 2010) "Birmingham seeks grant to raze Loveman Village, build mixed-income apartments." The Birmingham News
- Godwin, Brent (February 23, 2016) "How a $19M project will transform Loveman Village." Birmingham Business Journal
- Hu, Lydia (March 25, 2016) "Multi-million dollar Loveman Village transformation could start by summer." WBRC.com
- Poe, Kelly (June 3, 2016) "Loveman Village redevelopment gets $17 million tax credit approval." The Birmingham News
- Poe, Kelly (January 17, 2017) "First look: Loveman Village redevelopment renderings released." The Birmingham News
- Dingle, Stephon (October 24, 2017) "Loveman Village to become ‘Villas at Titusville’ in new public housing community." WIAT.com
- Beahm, Anna (November 15, 2019) "Look inside the new Villas at Titusville housing development." The Birmingham News