Welton School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

James A. Welton School was a school operated by Birmingham City Schools at 3716 5th Avenue in Wylam. The school was named for James Welton, a former principal of Patterson Elementary School.

The school was founded in 1951 by Fannie S. Thomas, who served as principal and lone teacher. A new 4-classroom brick-clad building was dedicated in 1961.

Welton School closed in 1969, having been made redundant by school integration. The Westside Church of Christ purchased the former school property from the Birmingham Board of Education in 1979 for $14,000.

Principals

References

  • The Huntsville Mirror (September 2, 1961), p. 2