A. O. Lane's 1887 residence
The 1887 A. O. Lane residence was a large house constructed in 1887 for Mayor A. O. Lane. It was located on the corner of 8th Avenue North and 19th Street.
The elaborate mansion featured a four-story pyramid-toppped turret over the entrance, a wraparound porch supported on pared round columns, a conical corner turret, and rusticated walls. It was set on a raised plot separated from the sidewalks by a stone retaining wall.
By 1909 the former residence was used as a clubhouse for the Birmingham Elks Lodge. It continued to serve that purpose until at least 1952.
The Alabama School of Fine Arts' Dorothy Jemison Day Theater now occupies the site.