Alabama National Bank

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Alabama National Bank was founded in April 1884 as the Alabama State Bank by Joseph Johnston, T. B. Lyons and John Read with $200,000 in capital stock. It grew to become the largest bank in the state by 1887 with capital of $500,000. The bank occupied the three-story Alabama National Bank Building on the southeast corner of 20th Street and 1st Avenue North.

The Alabama National Bank merged with the American Trust & Savings Bank in 1903. Its building was torn down in 1911 for construction of the 21-story American Trust and Savings Bank Building.

References

  • Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests. 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company.