Birmingham Audubon Society

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Birmingham Audubon Society is the Birmingham area chapter of the Audubon Society, a national federation of more than 500 chapters which advocates for the preservation of wildlife and natural resources, with a special interest in the welfare of birds. Its local offices are located at 3720 4th Avenue South in Forest Park-South Avondale.

The local chapter began in the late 1930s as an informal Birmingham Bird Club led by Morton Perry, Millard Prather and Bill Caruthers, all three of who were associated with local industrial companies. They got together for recreational birding and advertised locally for volunteers for the annual "Christmas Bird Count". Through that event, ornithologists Tom Imhof and Samuel and Isabel Tipton got involved in the group. They helped to formally incorporate the club on June 17, 1946 with Prather as president, Caruthers as vice-president and Samuel Tipton as secretary-treasurer. Soon a group of women led by Blanche Dean joined the organization, and in 1947 they voted to become the Birmingham Branch of the National Audubon Society.

Birmingham Audubon was granted state non-profit status on November 22, 1974 and federal 501(c)3 status in 1976.

Presidents/directors

References

  • Owens, Cody (May 25, 2018) "New Birmingham Audubon director on the politics and pleasures of birding." Jefferson County Journal

External links