Birmingham Female College
The Birmingham Female College was primary and secondary school located on the northeast corner of 4th Avenue North and 23rd Street. The property, donated by Rose Owen, was purchased from the Walker Land Company in Birmingham.
The school was founded by Kate Thompson, a transplant from the Huntsville Female College, and Mrs P. E. Scott in 1883. The institution was formally incorporated by the Alabama State Legislature on February 19, 1889.
The school boasted an enrollment of 140 students in its first session. Faculty included Mrs Scott as principal; M. E. Ivey, English and sciences; Agnes Crisman, elocution, penmanship, calisthenics and Latin; Mrs J. H. Hammond, vocal and instrumental music and modern languages, Nettie Wheeler, drawing & painting; and Lula Williams, primary and kindergarten.
Scott, Hammond and Ivey resided in the college building.
The trustees of the college in 1889 included W. C. McCoy, W. A. Walker, Jr, Rose Owen, George Morrow, Fred Sloss, Evan Nicholson, Samuel Greene, Alfred Eubank, V. O. Hawkins, C. B. Riddick and Thomas F. Greene.
- City Directory of Birmingham and Gazetteer of Surrounding Section for 1884-5 (1884) Volume II. Atlanta, Georgia: Interstate Directory Company