Birmingham Fire Station No. 1
A new building for the fire station, designed by David O. Whilldin and constructed for $100,000, opened in June 1921 on the site of the present Park Place Tower. The pull-through design had doors at 1915 7th Avenue North (now Park Place) and 1916 6th Avenue North. Each facade had three large arched openings on the ground floor; two with folding carriage doors for trucks, and one filled with a single swinging door with sidelights and semi-circular transom giving way to the station's offices. The upper floors had three groups of three arched windows divided with short columns and connected with a continuous stone sill. The windows were shaded by a deep cornice.
In 1960 the company's equipment roster included two 750-gallon pumper trucks, a 100-foot ladder truck, a 65-foot water-tower and ladder truck, a civil defense vehicle, a light truck and a car for the north district chief.
The present station was built in 1971. The roof of the building was designed as a helipad, but it is not currently in use.
- Shelby, Thomas Mark (2009) D. O. Whilldin: Alabama Architect. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society ISBN 0943994330