Bruce was the son of Cora and Bruce Irwin, and grew up with five sisters in Center Point. He served as student body president at Erwin High School. His father lost both legs in a train accident, and Irwin grew up taking him to many healthcare providers, and was inspired to enter the medical field. He went to Birmingham-Southern College on scholarship, then went to medical school at University of Alabama at Birmingham, earning his M.D. in 1974.
After spending three years as an emergency room doctor, Irwin saw a need that wasn't being provided. In 1982 he opened the first American Family Care clinic in Hoover. He also owns Occupational Health Services of America, DBI Properties, U Save Pharmacies, DBI Marine, Elite Luxury Automobiles and DBI Aviation.
- Crawford, Cindy F. (May 9, 2008) "Chamber honors small biz winners." Birmingham Business Journal
- Williams, Roy L. (February 20, 2011) "On the record: Bruce Irwin, founder and CEO of American Family Care, Inc." The Birmingham News
- "Donald Bruce Irwin" obituary (April 17, 2023) AL.com
- Thornton, William (April 18, 2023) "Dr. Bruce Irwin, American Family Care founder, dead at 73." AL.com
- Executive bios at americanfamilycare.com