Cityville Block 121
Cityville Block 121 is a $35 million mixed-use development currently under construction on Block 121 in midtown Birmingham. The project is being developed by a partnership of Inland American Communities, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham's Corporate Realty Development.
Inland American purchased the 2.5-acre property for $4.3 million in August 2007. Originally slated for a hotel/office tower and condominiums, the project was adapted for apartments and retail due to changing market conditions. The current proposal involves 255 apartment units (52 studios, 124 1-bed, 1-bath units, and 79 2-bed, 2-bath units). The apartments are provided with wood flooring and carpeted bedrooms, granite countertops, and designer lighting. Residents will have access to a club room, internet café, fitness center, swimming pool and secured parking in the development's 360-space enclosed deck.
The project includes 21,000 square feet of retail space, primarily facing 20th Street South. The architect for the project is Niles Bolton & Associates of Atlanta, Georgia. Golden Construction is the general contractor.
Demolition of the remaining structures on the block was begun in December 2008 and a ceremonial groundbreaking for construction was held on April 29, 2009. Completion of the residential portion was completed in Fall 2010 with retail spaces built out as leases are signed.
John Elkington of Performa Entertainment, formerly contracted to develop The Forge at the BJCC, was initially hired to recruit retailers and restaurants to the development, but was unsuccessful. The first two commercial tenants, Momma Goldberg's Deli and Bobby McKee's Irish Pub, signed leases in February 2011. Southpace was contracted to fill the remaining spaces.
- "Block by Block" (June 15, 2006) Urban Living 2006, special advertising section. Black & White
- "Cityville Development buys downtown block." (August 15, 2007) Birmingham News
- Cooper, Lauren B. (August 31, 2007) "City block to get revamped." Birmingham Business Journal
- Cooper, Lauren B. (February 11, 2008) "Express Oil moving downtown location to make room for $33M project." Birmingham Business Journal
- Williams, Roy L. (December 5, 2008) "Long-delayed building project near UAB starts demolition." Birmingham News
- "Block 121 adding apartments, retail to downtown B'ham." (March 27, 2009) Birmingham Business Journal
- Tomberlin, Michael (April 29, 2009) "Cityville Block 121 bringing urban living." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (March 2, 2010) "Retail, residential building nears completion on Birmingham's Southside". Birmingham News
- Williams, Roy L. (May 7, 2010) "Ex-Forge developer works on new Birmingham entertainment area." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (March 2, 2011) "Cityville Block 121 adds Momma Goldberg's Deli and McKee's Irish Pub." Birmingham News