2017 is the 146th year after the founding of the City of Birmingham.
- January 10: Mayor William Bell delivered the 2017 State of the City address at the Harbert Center.
- January 12: President Barack Obama established the Birmingham Civil Rights National Monument by presidential proclamation.
- January 21: The 2017 Women's March was held to promote women's rights as human rights.
- January 28: The exhibition "Third Space: Shifting Conversations About Contemporary Art" opened at the Birmingham Museum of Art.
- February 8: Former Governor Don Siegelman was released from federal prison into supervised probation.
- February 20-February 21: Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg visited Birmingham and Tuscaloosa with his wife, Priscilla Chan.
- March 26: A family of four was killed in the 2017 Hayden plane crash.
- Birmingham's DirectPath acquired Patient Care of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- The Schauenburg International Group acquired a majority stake in OHD USA Inc.
- The Peoples Independent Bank of Boaz acquired Horizon Bank of Fyffe.
- January: Cosecha Urban Kitchen opened at LIV Parkside.
- February 8: Publix supermarket opened at 20 Midtown.
- Atomic Lounge opened on 1st Avenue North.
- February 15: The first vendors in the Pizitz Food Hall opened for business.
- February 20: II Fish V Loaves opened in Norwood.
- February 21: SoHo Social opened in Homewood's SoHo Square.
- Eugene's Hot Chicken opened at Uptown
- Wheelhouse Salon opened a second location in the Graves Building.
- Spireworks opened at Innovation Depot
- Shelby County's 1,500-acre Cahaba River Park opened.
- The Birmingham Water Works Board was expanded from five to nine members.
- January 31: The Birmingham City Council adopted a Sanctuary City resolution.
- February 9: Luther Strange was appointed by Robert Bentley to fill Jeff Sessions vacant seat in the United States Senate.
- February 8: Jeff Sessions was confirmed as Attorney General of the United States.
- August: 2017 Birmingham municipal election
- January 9: The Clemson Tigers defeated the 2016 Alabama Crimson Tide football team 35-31 in the College Football Playoff National Championship game in Tampa, Florida.
- February 3-5: 2017 Davis Cup first round tie was played at Legacy Arena.
- February 12: Dominic Korir and Sarah Pease won the Mercedes Marathon.
- February 25: Boxer Deontay Wilder defended his WBC world heavyweight title with a TKO of Gerald Washington at Legacy Arena.
- March 8-11: The 2017 Conference USA Men's Basketball Tournament was held at Legacy Arena.
- June 2-15: 2017 National Senior Games
- NCAA 2017 Division II Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field championships were held at the Birmingham CrossPlex
- NCAA 2017 Division II Winter Festival were held at the Birmingham CrossPlex
- Alabama Engineering Hall of Fame: Brian Barr, Paula Martese Marino, H. Stuart Starrett, Bill Harbert and Todd May
- January 2: Albert Brewer, former Governor of Alabama
- January 4: James C. Lewis, developer and contractor
- January 6: Courtney Haden, audio producer, radio host and columnist
- January 12: Ignatius Crockett, Orthodox priest
- January 30: Naomi Truman, former director of the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District
- February 1: Artist and Space One Eleven founder Anne Arrasmith
- February 2: Tom Drake, former professional wrestler and Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives
- February 18: Jack Warner, Westervelt Company CEO and art collector
- February 19: Kyle Mabrey, professional bass angler
- February 19: David Tinsley, radio deejay
- March 4: John Hodnett, former Mayor of Hoover
- March 15: Rena Hudson, former Mayor of Warrior
- March 16: Lewis White, radio personality and educator
- March 16: Lee McKee, blacksmith and metal artist
- See also, List of homicides in 2017.
- 20 Midtown apartments and retail in midtown
- CrossPlex Village
- Finley Center at the Hoover Metropolitan Complex
- Homestead Village shopping center in Trussville
- Metropolitan Apartments in Lakeview
- Park 35 on Clairmont apartments in Lakeview/Forest Park Village
- Row5 townhouses on Morris Avenue
- UAB Football Operations Building and Legacy Pavillion at UAB
- The Waites apartments and retail in Southside
- Expansion of the Mercedes-Benz US International assembly plant in Tuscaloosa
- Hooper Creek Apartments on 4th Avenue South
- UAB Parking Lot 15A on University Blvd
- UAB Parking Lot 55 on 20th Street South
In 2017 Donald Trump was inaugurated as President of the United States and the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus ceased operating. The New England Patriots won the Super Bowl 34-28 in overtime.
Notable deaths in 2017 included actors Miguel Ferrer, John Hurt, Mary Tyler Moore and Bill Paxton; authors William Blatty and Bharati Mukherjee; poet Derek Walcott; musicians Chuck Berry, Al Jarreau, Pete Seeger and Butch Trucks; , Roe v. Wade plaintiff Norma McCorvey; convicted terrorist Omar Abdel-Rahman; banker David Rockefeller, NAMCO founder Masaya Nakamura and Little Caesars founder Mike Ilitch.
|<< 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 >>|
|Births - Deaths - Establishments - Events - Works|