2017 is the 146th year after the founding of the City of Birmingham.
- January 10: Mayor William Bell delivered the 2017 State of the City address at the Harbert Center.
- January 12: President Barack Obama established the Birmingham Civil Rights National Monument by presidential proclamation.
- January 21: The 2017 Women's March was held to promote women's rights as human rights.
- Birmingham's DirectPath acquired Patient Care of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- February 8: Publix supermarket opened at 20 Midtown.
- Atomic Lounge opened on 1st Avenue North.
- Eugene's Hot Chicken opened at Uptown
- Wheelhouse Salon opened a second location in the Graves Building.
- Spireworks opened at Innovation Depot
- Shelby County's 1,500-acre Cahaba River Park opened.
- The Birmingham Water Works Board was expanded from five to nine members.
- August: 2017 Birmingham municipal election
- February 3-5: 2017 Davis Cup first round tie was played at Legacy Arena.
- NCAA 2017 Division II Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field championships were held at the Birmingham CrossPlex
- NCAA 2017 Division II Winter Festival were held at the Birmingham CrossPlex
- January 2: Albert Brewer, former Governor of Alabama
- January 4: James C. Lewis, developer and contractor
- January 6: Courtney Haden, audio producer, radio host and columnist
- January 12: Ignatius Crockett, Orthodox priest
- See also, List of homicides in 2017.
- 20 Midtown apartments and retail in midtown
- CrossPlex Village
- Finley Center at the Hoover Metropolitan Complex
- Homestead Village shopping center in Trussville
- Metropolitan Apartments in Lakeview
- Park 35 on Clairmont apartments in Lakeview/Forest Park Village
- Row5 townhouses on Morris Avenue
- UAB Football Operations Building and Legacy Pavillion at UAB
- The Waites apartments and retail in Southside
- Expansion of the Mercedes-Benz US International assembly plant in Tuscaloosa
In 2017 Donald Trump was inaugurated as President of the United States and the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus ceased operating.
Notable deaths in 2017 included actor Miguel Ferrer.
|<< 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 >>|
|Births - Deaths - Establishments - Events - Works|