Loveman Village

From Bhamwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Loveman Village is a public housing project operated by the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District located at 248 1st Avenue Southwest in the North Titusville neighborhood of the Titusville community east of Elmwood Cemetery.

The project was constructed in 1952 and contains 500 apartments. It was named for Joseph Loveman, president of Loveman, Joseph & Loeb department store, who served on the city housing board from 1940 to 1949.

It is managed by Danny Kidd. All units at the project were renovated and lead paint was abated in the 2000s.

In 2009, then-Mayor Larry Langford (who grew up at Loveman Village) proposed replacing the project with condominiums which could be sold to existing tenants with subsidized loans. In 2010 the HABD contracted with Columbia Residential of Atlanta, Georgia to redevelop the site as a 280-unit mixed income community to be called "Westwood Green". The Boulevard Group, which manages Tuxedo Terrace, was asked to apply for a U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Hope VI grant to help fund the redevelopment.

[edit] References

  • Gray, Jeremy (November 9, 2010) "Birmingham seeks grant to raze Loveman Village, build mixed-income apartments." Birmingham News

[edit] External links

Personal tools