January 31 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2015: Telluride played the War Eagle Supper Club's last night in Auburn
- 2009: Cobb Lane Restaurant closed after 61 years in business.
- 1956: The Town & Gown Theater dedicated the former Little Theater as the Louis V. Clark Memorial Theatre.
- 1975: Buckingham Nicks headlined a sold-out show at Boutwell Auditorium shortly after Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac.
- 1954: Patton Chapel Baptist Church was established.
- 1879: James Powers married Loula Reynolds.
- 1958: Birmingham Barons manager Rafael Santana was born.
- 1948: Football player Mike Kolen was born in Opelika.
- 1946: UA Chancellor Malcolm Portera was born in West Point, Mississippi.
- 1944: Nurse Barbara Maxwell was born.
- 1943: Auburn Tigers swimming coach Richard Quick was born in Akron, Ohio.
- 1915: Boxer Izzy Jannazzo was born in Ensley.
- 1914: Commercial artist Dorothea Warren Fox was born in Birmingham.
- 1913: Football hall of famer Don Hutson was born.
- 1902: Actress Tallulah Bankhead was born in Huntsville.
- 1894: Birmingham Barons player Stuffy Stewart was born.
- 1869: Temple Emanu-El's Rabbi Morris Newfield was born in Hungary.