January 7 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2011: The vacant Powell School caught fire.
- 2010: The Alabama Crimson Tide defeated the Texas Longhorns 37-21 to win the BCS Championship.
- 2010: Abdul Kallon was sworn in as a federal District Court judge.
- 1987: Miss Alabama 2011 Courtney Porter was born in Birmingham.
- 1976: Pelham police officer Philip Davis was born in Tuscaloosa.
- 1953: Joe Kelley died with 40 other servicemen returning from Korea in a plane crash near Bear Lake, Idaho.
- 1944: Tuskegee Airman Alexander Jefferson earned his wings.
- 1871: Birmingham Conservatory of Music director William Gussen was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1846: Attorney William Walker, Jr was born in Elyton.
- 1839: Judson Female Institute was founded in Marion under president Milo Jewett.
- 1822: William Pullen was granted an 80-acre tract in what later became Avondale.