January 9 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2007: Rapper Attitude signed a music contract with Warner Bros. Records.
- 2007: Chief Dwayne Murray resigned from the BFRS to take a post in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- 2003: The Sheraton Perimeter Park South was remodeled and reopened as the Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park.
- 1962: A rare snowfall brought 3.5 inches to Birmingham.
- 1836: The Alabama Legislature repealed all state taxes, planning to derive revenues from state-owned banks.
- 1943: Folk singer Jerry Yester was born in Birmingham.
- 1935: Confectioner Leon Vlahos was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1934: Football player and coach Bart Starr was born in Montgomery.
- 2012: Birmingham Bulls defenseman Paul Terbenche died in Coburg, Ontario.
- 2007: Attorney Samuel Burr died.
- 2007: Birmingham News music critic Oliver Roosevelt died.
- 1999: Jasper Congressman and historian Carl Elliott died.
- 2017: The Clemson Tigers defeated the 2016 Alabama Crimson Tide football team 35-31 in the College Football Playoff National Championship game in Tampa, Florida.
- 2012: The 2011 Alabama Crimson Tide football team secured its 14th national championship with a 21-0 win over LSU.
- 2009: Alabama Junior running back Glen Coffee announced his eligibility for the 2009 NFL draft.
- 1993: Blaze the Viking debuted as the UAB Blazers official mascot.