20 Midtown is a mixed-use development on either side of 3rd Avenue South between 19th and 20th Street South. The $100 million multi-phase project by developers Dick Schmalz of RGS Properties and Scott Bryant includes apartment units, an enclosed parking deck, offices, retail. The anchor tenant is Publix supermarket occupying 34,000 square feet on the north side of the project, with Starbucks Coffee and a Chipotle restaurant on the south side. Office tenants include RGE Properties, SRS Real Estate Partners and Systematic Services.
Bryant had purchased the former Firestone Building and Adamson Ford car lot in 2003 and had pursued various unsuccessful redevelopment schemes with Schmalz before announcing 20 Midtown in 2014. The project was conceived as "suburban urbanism," offering amenities such a supermarket, drive-thru restaurants, and ample parking, within a decidedly urban building form in the heart of Midtown. The City of Birmingham approved a $6.4 million incentives package, including partial sales tax reimbursements for ten years. The project was designed by Tammy Cohen of Cohen Carnaggio Reynolds and built by Stewart Perry Construction.
The first 36 apartment units, ranging from 665 to 1,139 square feet, were constructed on the southern part of the development. Another 86 apartments, with indoor access to the supermarket, was completed in early 2017. A third phase, with 240 units along with a swimming pool and additional retail space, began construction in 2016. The total development will have around 360 apartment units.
- 220 20th Street South: Publix, opened February 2017
- 302 20th Street South: Chipotle restaurant, opened December 2015
- 306 20th Street South: Live Mobile LLC, opened September 2016
- 308 20th Street South: Starbucks Coffee, opened August 2015
- Tomberlin, Michael (May 18, 2014) "Publix to build grocery store in downtown Birmingham as part of $30 million project." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (November 4, 2014) "City unanimously approves incentives for Public development." Birmingham Business Journal
- Poe, Kelly (January 21, 2015) "Downtown Publix development gets name, new renderings." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (January 22, 2015) "Downtown Publix project will be larger than initially planned." Birmingham Business Journal
- Poe, Kelly (March 25, 2015) "20 Midtown wins design approval; downtown Publix one step closer." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (July 9, 2015) "First 20 Midtown apartments to be ready by October." Birmingham Business Journal
- Poe, Kelly (January 17, 2017) "Downtown Birmingham Publix sets opening date." The Birmingham News
- 20 Midtown website