March 8 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2009: Andy Roddick clinched a US victory in front of 15,118 fans at the 2009 Davis Cup first round tie at the BJCC.
- 2007: Governor Bob Riley designated George Watson Day.
- 2007: The annual Birmingham Area Music Awards ceremony was held at WorkPlay.
- 2006: The Proffitt's at the Riverchase Galleria was converted to a Belk's.
- 2000: The Briary reopened in its West Homewood location.
- 1943: George Watson drowned while rescuing shipmates during World War II.
- 1886: Birmingham's first Mardi Gras parade was organized by the German Society.