March 8 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2007: Governor Bob Riley designated George Watson Day.
- 2007: The annual Birmingham Area Music Awards ceremony was held at WorkPlay.
- 2006: The Proffitt's at the Riverchase Galleria was converted to a Belk's.
- 2000: The Briary reopened in its West Homewood location.
- 1943: George Watson drowned while rescuing shipmates during World War II.
- 1886: Birmingham's first Mardi Gras parade was organized by the German Society.
- 1969: Poet and educator Sharrif Simmons was born in Long Island, New York.
- 1961: Birmingham Citizens Advisory Board president Sheila Tyson was born.
- 1958: Baseball coach Brian Shoop was born.
- 2010: University of Alabama administrator and first Big Al Melford Espey died.
- 2007: Mama Petite, a hippopotamus at the Birmingham Zoo, was euthanized.