March 4 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2000: The Birmingham Children's Choir performed with Harmony Hills Chorus.
- 1997: The press box at UAB's Young Memorial Field was named in honor of Harry "The Hat" Walker.
- 1995: The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum opened to the public on 5th Avenue South in Lakeview.
- 1986: Canadian tightrope walker Jay Cochrane made his way from the Commerce Center to the Brown Marx Building as part of a publicity campaign for the 100th anniversary of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.
- 1979: The newly-formed Covenant Presbyterian Church officially joined the Presbyterian Church in America's Evangel Presbytery.
- 1966: Joseph Vath was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Mobile-Birmingham.
- 1958: Vestavia Hills Baptist Church purchased George Ward's former Vestavia estate.
- 1945: The USS Birmingham (CL-62) supported the Battle of Iwo Jima.
- 1931: John H. Bankhead, II began serving in the U. S. Senate.
- 1917: William Bankhead began serving in the U. S. House of Representatives.
- 1861: Letitia Christian Tyler, granddaughter of President John Tyler, raised the flag of the provisional government of the Confederate States of America over the Capitol of Alabama. The date was recognized by the state in 1953 as "Confederate Flag Day".
- 2017: Former Hoover mayor John Hodnett died.
- 2014: Garage Café owner Jimmy Watson died.
- 2011: Auto dealer Don Drennen Jr died.
- 2008: Voice actor and announcer Jack Voorhies died.
- 1962: Architect Brooke Burnham died.
- 1958: Alabama Power Company president Lewis Smith died.
- 1915: Real estate developer Anderson Blevins died in Shreveport, Louisiana.