March 5 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2004: Jerome Mincy bobblehead dolls were given away at a UAB Blazers home basketball game at the Bartow Arena.
- 1963: The 1963 Birmingham municipal election was held.
- 1946: Eleanor Bridges reorganized the Civiettes Club.
- 1905: William Jelks resumed his term as governor after a period of tuberculosis treatment in New Mexico.
- 1873: The first Episcopal Church of the Advent building was completed.
 Births and deaths
- 2012: Pants Store owner Mickey Gee died.
- 2011: Jemison police officer Josh Newman was killed in a traffic accident while responding to a call in Thorsby.
- 2009: Vulcan Materials executive and philanthropist Bill Ireland died.
- 1952: Dennis "The Rock" Dumas was born.
- 1951: Singer-songwriter Willis Alan Ramsey was born in Birmingham.
- 1944: Reality show contestant and Georgia judge Paschal English was born in Birmingham.
- 1836: Historian John Witherspoon DuBose was born in Darlington, South Carolina.