February 29 (leap day) in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 1984: Apple Books at Five Points South closed.
- 1980: Apple Books opened at Five Points South.
- 1952: St Louis & San Francisco Railway Engine No. 4018 made the last steam-powered revenue run anywhere on the Frisco line as it traveled from Bessemer to Birmingham.
- 1940: Cooper Green first took office as President of the Birmingham City Commission.
- 1904: Drummer Wilson Driver was born.
- 1844: Civic leader and former Mayor of Birmingham Frank O'Brien was born in Dublin, Ireland.