February 22 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2010: WAPI-FM (NewsTalk 100 WAPI) was launched by Citadel Communications.
- 2008: Cleve Eaton was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.
- 2007: Andy Craig was named the permanent superintendent of Hoover City Schools.
- 2007: Railroad worker and "Gandy dancer" John Henry Mealing died.
- 2007: Alabaster Boulevard was opened.
- 2005: The Magic City Flickr Group was founded.
- 1984: HealthSouth was incorporated.
- 1947: Attorney and novelist Richard North Patterson was born.
- 1937: Educator Sid Ingram was born in Tarrant.
- 1918: Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley was born in Ensley.
- 1898: The Alabama Colonial Dames of America was chartered.
- 1893: Auburn defeated Alabama 32-22 in the first Iron Bowl, played at Lakeview Park in Birmingham.
- 1890: Thomas Furnace No. 2 was blown in.
- 1863: Wallace S. McElwain purchased an 80 acre parcel upon which he built the Cahaba Iron Works.