December 22 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2014: Ground was broken for a new Montevallo City Hall.
- 1992: Compass Bank acquired FWNB Bancshares of Carrollton, Texas.
- 1972: The Christmas lighting scheme on the sides of the First National-Southern Natural Building debuted.
- 1969: The Homewood Board of Education was created, but did not yet assume authority.
- 1956: African American passengers Carl and Alexinia Baldwin were arrested for sitting in the white waiting room at Birmingham Terminal Station.
- 1951: TCI's Flintridge Building was dedicated.
- 1950: The last of Loveman's "Mr Bingle" shows with Benny Carle and Cliff Holman aired.
- 1944: The city's first Civic Christmas Carol Service was held at Municipal Auditorium.
- 1929: A rare snowfall brought 5.5 inches to Birmingham.
- 2011: Black-footed cats Romulus and Remus were born at the Birmingham Zoo.
- 1979: Western Lowland Gorilla Babec was born.
- 1959: Bruno Event Team CEO Gene Hallman was born in Anderson, South Carolina.
- 1919: Real estate developer Aaron Aronov was born in Montgomery.
- 1916: Golfer Charley Boswell was born in Birmingham.
- 1954: Botanist Joab Thomas married Marly Allene Dukes of Boise, Idaho.
- 1841: William Mudd married Florence Jane Earle.
- 2009: Circuit Court judge John Godbold died in Montgomery.
- 1935: Social activist Pattie Ruffner Jacobs died in Birmingham.
- 1921: Former judge Oscar Hundley died in Birmingham.
- 1896: Bessie Parker, wife of A. H. Parker, died in childbirth.
- 2014: The 2014-15 UAB Blazers men's basketball team lost to the Chattanooga Mocs 67-83 at Chattanooga.
- 2007: Cincinnati defeated Southern Mississippi 31-21 in the second annual PapaJohns.com Bowl at Legion Field.
- 2001: The 2001-02 UAB Blazers men's basketball team lost to the LaSalle Explorers 53-56 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 2001: The Alabama Slammers lost 43-8 to the Jacksonville Dixie Blues