December 5 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2007: Former Birmingham City Council member Don MacDermott pleaded guilty to receiving and possessing child pornography.
- 2006: The Birmingham Christmas parade was held in Kelly Ingram and Linn Parks.
- 2003: The Wyatt v. Stickney case regarding the state's treatment of mental patients was dismissed.
- 1976: Public radio station WBHM went on the air.
- 1960: Hugo Black wrote the decision in the Supreme Court case of Boynton v. Virginia, establishing federal regulation of accommodations for interstate passengers.
- 1901: Thomas Martin was admitted to the Alabama State Bar.
- 1878: Eugene Enslen married the former Della Evans.
- 1837: State representative Shandy Jones married Evalina Love.
- 1948: Alabama School of Fine Arts teacher and Birmingham Festival Theatre co-founder Randy Marsh was born.
- 1921: Marine officer and Medal of Honor recipient Harold Wilson was born in Birmingham.
- 1865: Surgeon Dyer Talley was born in Woodlawn.
- 1799: Governor of Alabama Joshua Martin was born in Blount County, Tennessee.