December 9 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2016: Ground was broken for the Collat School of Business building at UAB.
- 2006: Bessemer and Hueytown held their respective Christmas parades.
- 1989: Bishop Raymond Boland announced that John Carroll Catholic High School would relocate to Lakeshore Parkway.
- 1962: Banker, lawyer and judge Pete Norris married Ann Deaver.
- 1960: The Health Sciences Research Building at UAB was dedicated.
- 1886: The North Birmingham Railway Company was incorporated.
- 1981: Homeless advocate Erica Robbins was born in Munford.
- 1938: Congressman Ben Erdreich was born in Birmingham.
- 1908: Federal circuit court judge Walter Gewin was born in Nanafalia, Marengo County.
- 1905: API halfback, Olympic athlete and long-time Bessemer High School coach Snitz Snider was born in Adger.
- 2020: Ray Perkins, Alabama Crimson Tide football player and coach.
- 2012: Entrepreneur and venture capitalist Bill Featheringill died in Jefferson County.
- 2011: Former Birmingham Barons play-by-play announcer Gabby Bell died in Jupiter, Florida.
- 2006: Birmingham News editor and writer Wendell Givens died.
- 1997: Labor organizer and Communist political activist Angelo Herndon died in Sweet Home, Arkansas.
- 1942: Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Co. founder Crawford Johnson died in Birmingham.
- 1937: Novelist Frances Nimmo Greene died in Birmingham.