December 2 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2011: The Birmingham Southern Railroad was sold to the Watco Companies of Pittsburgh, Kansas.
- 2011: Jefferson County chief financial officer Jeff Hager resigned.
- 2008: A section of 68th Street West in the Green Acres neighborhood was dedicated in honor of former neighborhood president Johnny McDonald.
- 2008: Etricia Williams opened 122 Tree Lane Restaurant in Old Town Helena
- 2000: Wendy Jarvis bought Bare Hands Gallery from Jessica Helfrecht.
- 1994: A controversy erupted over paintings of male nudes at Studio 2030.
- 1972: The massive "Golly Hole" sinkhole appeared near Calera.
- 1961: Jimmy Dean, Johnny Burnette, Dick & Dee Dee, Ral Donner, Johnny Tillotson, Curtis Lee, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Ray Peterson, Charlie Rich, and Jerry Byrd shared the bill for a WVOK-AM "Shower of Stars" concert at Municipal Auditorium.
- 1922: The Employers Mutual Insurance of Alabama began operating.
- 1903: Five Points Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized at a meeting at Phillip Alosi’s Palace Market at Five Points South.
- 1886: The East Birmingham Land Company was organized by George Kelley.
- 1861: John Gill Shorter succeeded Andrew Moore as Governor of Alabama.
- 1961: BLOC Global founder Herschell Hamilton was born in Birmingham.
- 1850: Mayor of Tuscaloosa William Jemison was born in Tuscaloosa.
- 1816: Birmingham Founding Father William Mudd was born in Kentucky.
- 2008: Folk singer Odetta died in New York.
- 1996: Professional wrestler and wrestling promoter Joe Gunther died in Des Moines, Iowa.
- 1986: Jazz saxophonist Paul Bascomb died in Chicago.
- 1926: Photographer Alfred Keily died in Birmingham.
- 2014: UAB president Ray Watts announced the termination of the Blazers football program.
- 1998: David Cutcliffe was hired as the head football coach at Ole Miss.
- 1958: Boston Red Sox outfielder Jimmy Piersall was traded to the Cleveland Indians.
- 1989: Pat Dye's Auburn Tigers won the Iron Bowl 30-20 at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the first time in 42 years the game was played outside of Legion Field.
- 1978: Alabama won the Iron Bowl 34-16.
- 1972: Auburn won the "Punt Bama Punt" game 17-16.
- 1967: Alabama pulled out a victory with Ken Stabler's "Run in the Mud" 7-3.
- 1961: Alabama won the Iron Bowl 34-0.
- 1950: Alabama won the Iron Bowl 34-0.