June 5 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2018: 2018 primary elections were held statewide.
- 2012: The Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children was dedicated.
- 2010: The 8th annual Alabaster CityFest was held.
- 2007: Jefferson County Commissioner Larry Langford declared his intention to campaign for Mayor of Birmingham.
- 1997: A dropped steel coil caused damage on I-65 near Greensprings Avenue.
- 1993: Birmingham native Mary McLeod was elected Episcopal Bishop of Vermont.
- 1992: The Kirklin Clinic was dedicated.
- 1973: Led Zeppelin performed at Tuscaloosa's Memorial Coliseum.
- 1961: The area north of the Weiss Dam on the Coosa River was impounded, creating Weiss Lake.
- 1956: Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth founded the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights.
- 1949: Educator Wayne Teague married Josephine Jones.
- 1948: Kiddieland at Fair Park held its grand opening.
- 1936: The pageant "From Mud-Covered Oxcart to Gilded Airplane" by Olive Zeigler was presented at Legion Field.
- 1922: Roberts Field was dedicated in honor of Lt Arthur Roberts.
- 1918: Mine worker Henry Higginbotham registered for the draft.
- 1915: The Jefferson Powder Company was acquired by the Aetna Explosives Company of New York.
- 1906: Celestine Mittermeier succeeded Robert Reitmeier as pastor of SS. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church in Brookside.
- 1895: A. H. Parker married Bessie D. Pettiford at Tuskegee Institute's chapel.
- 1888: Ensley Furnace No. 3 was blown in.
- 1820: The Jefferson County Orphans' Court met for the first time at the newly-built Jefferson County Courthouse in Carrollville.
- 1971: Naked Art owner Véronique Vanblaere was born in Belgium.
- 1946: Trussville state representative Arthur Payne was born in Birmingham.
- 1945: Mayor Bernard Kincaid was born in Pratt City.
- 1944: Bluesman and One Man Band Adolphus Bell was born.
- 1941: Crystallographer and BioCryst co-founder Charles Bugg was born in Durham, North Carolina.
- 1921: Mae Rosenberger was born in Mandeville, Louisiana.
- 1868: Governor William Brandon was born in Talladega.
- 1856: Rufus Rhodes, founder of The Birmingham News, was born in Pascagoula, Mississippi.
- 2020: United Ability CEO Gary Edwards died.
- 2017: Attorney, political consultant and author Vic Gold died.
- 2013: Former Birmingham police chief Jim Parsons died.
- 2012: Former WVTM anchor and news director Wendell Harris died.
- 1991: Artist Felix Gaines died.
- 1987: Artist and activist Eleanor Bridges died.
- 1983: Steve Spurrier's Tampa Bay Bandits 45 - Birmingham Stallions 17 at Tampa Stadium.
- 1982: Alabama Magic 33 - Florida Suns 0 at Florida