Dogwood Shell Station
The Dogwood Shell Station, at 1488 Montgomery Highway in Vestavia Hills, is a gas station owned by The McPherson Companies. On March 10, 2008, it became the first station in the Birmingham-Hoover Metropolitan Statistical Area to begin commercially selling E-85 fuel, a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. The McPherson Companies received a grant from the Alabama Clean Fuels Coalition and the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs to help offset the start-up costs associated with offering the fuel. It is the second commercial station in the state to offer the alternative fuel, the first was in Tuscaloosa. The City of Hoover also has a private E-85 station.
- Cason, Mike (March 10, 2008) "Vestavia Hills gas station now selling E-85 fuel." Birmingham News.