Grand River is a $135 million, 6,500-acre master planned mixed use development created by the Daniel Corporation on land owned by U. S. Steel adjacent to I-20 in Leeds at the Rex Lake Road exit near the Barber Motorsports Park.
The anchor for the entire development is a 150,000-square-foot Bass Pro Shop which occupies a 100-acre site with a 35-acre nature park. Construction began on January 24, 2008 after several months of site clearing and the construction of a water tower. The store, which includes displays inspired by the area's motorsports and coal mining history as well as an 18,500-gallon aquarium, opened on November 19, 2008.
Later plans call for up to 940 homes and additional retail, hotel and office development.
Daniel has committed to working with Audubon International to ensure adequate environmental safeguards. They hope to qualify as a "Certified Gold Audubon International Signature Sanctuary."
Shops of Grand River
In addition to the Bass Pro Shop, Daniel developed a 500,000 square-foot Shops of Grand River retail outlet center. The first phase, encompassing 330,000 square feet for about 65 retailers and restaurants was completed on October 28, 2010. Crawford McWilliams Hatcher Architects is designing the center, which is configured in "racetrack" style, meaning the pedestrian shopping areas is surrounded by a wide ring of paved parking and access roads. Hoar Construction was general contractor for the $127 million project.
Tenants include Aeropostale, Banana Republic, Jos. A. Bank, Black & Decker, Brooks Brothers, Carters, Chico's, Claire's, Coach Factory, Corningware Corelle Revere, Cosmetic Company, DKNY, Allen Edmonds, Izod, Jones New York, Kenneth Cole, Kitchen Collection, The Gap, Ghirardelli, Gymboree, Tommy Hilfiger, Learning Express, Nike, Old Farmer's Almanac, OshKosh, Polo Ralph Lauren, Red Mango, Sterling Jewelers, Sunglass Warehouse, Talbots, Toys R Us, and Vanity Fair Outlet. Old Navy relocated from Trussville in 2014.
- Hickerson, Patrick (November 30, 2007) "Daniel Corp. plans Grand River development near Bass Pro Shops." Birmingham News
- Cooper, Lauren B. (January 21, 2008) "Bass Pro Shops to begin construction on Leeds superstore." Birmingham Business Journal
- Kent, Dawn (September 24, 2008) "Bass Pro Shops is on scheduled to open its third Alabama store Nov. 19." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (February 12, 2009) "Daniel eyes 2010 for outlet mall." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (August 9, 2009) "Developers line up retailers for $127 million Leeds outlet mall." Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (August 8, 2010) "Leeds' Shops of Grand River outlet mall up to 44 stores." Birmingham News
- Lloyd, Gary (January 18, 2014) "Trussville Old Navy moving to Leeds." Trussville Tribune
- Grand River at danielrealty.com