The Hotel Highland at Five Points South is an 8-story, 63-room full service hotel and conference center located mostly within the Medical Arts Building at 1023 20th Street South in Five Points South. The hotel includes a martini bar called The H Martini Bar.
The Medical Arts Building was converted into Pickwick Hotel and Conference Center along with an adjacent conference center and retail development called Pickwick Plaza in 1988. Both developments were named for the former Pickwick Club, which had opened nearby the same year as the Medical Arts Building, and headed by cardiac surgeon Donald Kahn.
In November 2006 Atlanta developers Long & Cox Properties Inc. announced plans to purchase the hotel and embark on a estimated $7 million overhaul which would transform the property into a high-end boutique hotel and martini bar. They selected Denver, Colorado-based Richfield Hospitality Services to operate the hotel. Local designer Peggy Dye & Associates was announced as an equity partner and did the hotel's interior design.
- Nicholson, Gilbert (August 23, 2002). " 'Pickwick Club' provided name for hotel, retail plaza." Birmingham Business Journal.
- Tomberlin, Michael (November 2, 2006). "Atlanta developers buy Pickwick Hotel." The Birmingham News.
- Cooper, Lauren B. (March 9, 2007). "High end in Five Pts." Birmingham Business Journal.
- Kent, Dawn. (July 24, 2007). "Former Pickwick gets new name, updated look." The Birmingham News.