Raden building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Raden building (also called the Eyer-Raden building or Eyer-Raiden building) is a 3-story commercial building constructed by C. Moritz Raden at the southwest corner of 22nd Street and 2nd Avenue South.

When it was built around 1895, Block 137 was otherwise occupied only by modest dwellings. The 50-foot by 100-foot brick building has a moulded metal cornice interrupted by a small gable above the stair entrance on 22nd Street. The cornice is supported on engaged piers and a corbeled band. The tall windows are topped by projecting arches tops and connected by a continuous rowlock sill. The shops feature full-width glazed transoms.

The ground floor of the building was divided into stores. Daniel Eyer Jr opened a short-lived grocery store and saloon in the corner spot of the new building, but the other stores remained largely vacant for several years. The upper levels were operated as a boarding or rooming house, originally by Mrs Raden. They continued to operate as the Southside Rooming House well into the 1950s.

Over time the Raden building was absorbed into what became Birmingham's "Automotive District", booming with auto sales, parts and service businesses. The building is now recognized as a "contributing structure" to the Automotive Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

Developer Ward Neely of Neely Construction began redeveloping the vacant building for Battery II in 2020. During demolition, crews uncovered artifacts and inscriptions dating to the building's former use as a rooming house.

Tenants

References

  • "Birmingham developer uncovers brothel history at old hotel in Southside." (February 13, 2020) WVTM.com