Rumore's Record Rack

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Rumores Record Rack logo.jpg

Joe Rumore's Record Rack was a stereo equipment and record store located at 1802 2nd Avenue North, in a retail space built into the ground floor of a parking deck. It was opened by popular WVOK-AM radio deejay Joe Rumore on April 24, 1954. Singer Johnny Maddox performed at the opening.

Rumore moved the store to 2827 18th Street South at The Curve in Homewood in 1970. It closed in 1979.

Rumore also had a studio in his basement for many years. The broadcast equipment, teletype and other items from his home studio are on display at the Alabama Historical Radio Society facility in downtown Birmingham along with memorabilia from his record store.