South Highland School
- This article is about the public school, for the private girls' school see South Highland School for Girls and for the nursing school, see South Highland School of Nursing
|South Highland School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||2030 Magnolia Avenue, (map)|
Five Points South
The South Highland School was a public school located at 2030 Magnolia Avenue on the corner of 21st Street South, built by the Town of Highland in the late 1880s and later taken over by Birmingham City Schools when the town was annexed into Birmingham in 1893.
The original 12-classroom building was renovated and expanded with 12 more classrooms in a new 3-story wing in 1909. Miller & Martin were the architects for that work, which was completed by the Birmingham Building & Improvement Company at a total cost of $48,744.57.
By the 1940s, the school taught grades 1 through 8. Notable faculty members in those years included Miss Anderson and Virginia Hanson.