Volker Hall (formerly Basic Health Sciences Building or Basic Sciences Building) is a seven-story, 300,000 square foot academic building located at 1670 University Boulevard. It provides laboratory space, classrooms, and offices for the joint basic science departments of the medical and dental schools at UAB.
The building faces University Boulevard and is connected on the second floor to a pedestrian plaza and crosswalk that provides access to Lister Hill Library, the UAB School of Nursing, and the Learning Resource Center.
UAB Parking Lot 10 is located on the ground floor of the building.
- A groundbreaking ceremony was held on July 30, 1968.
- The building was completed in 1972.
- In October 1977 it was renamed from Basic Health Sciences Building to Volker Hall to honor Dr. Joseph F. Volker for his service and committment to UAB.
- Major renovations were completed in July 2003 to the building's west and south facades. In addition, interior office space, classrooms, laboratories, and auditoriums were modernized.
- Chronological History of UAB
- Fisher, Virginia E. (1995) Building on a Vision. Birmingham, Alabama: Crane Hill Publishers ISBN 1881548147
- (June 20, 2018) Retro-spectives article from UAB Reporter