- This article is about the 1880s building on 1st Avenue North. For the 1890 building on 3rd Avenue North, see Kessler Building.
The Allen Building (later called the Phillips Building) was a 3-story masonry commercial building, 25 feet wide by 182 feet deep, located at 1909 1st Avenue North, stretching across the block to 1908 Morris Avenue. It was built in the 1880s by James Allen for the James A. Allen & Co. wholesale grocery house, which became Allen, Scott & Sherrard and, after 1885, Allen, Scott & Company.
The upper floor was used for meetings under the name Red Mens' Hall in 1904.
- Allen & Co. wholesale grocers (1880s–1885), Allen, Scott & Company (1885–1926)
- New South Industrial Monthly (1887)
- Charles Turner attorney (1887)
- Robert M. Oliver insurance (1887)
- James E. Long real estate (1887)
- W. S. Smith & Co. architects (1887)
- Alexander & Corpening brokers (1888)
- J. J. Altman (1896)
- A. A. Adams & Co. (1896)
- A. S. Van Degrift (1896)
- L & N Railroad land office (1896)
- Bonazzi & Co. (1926)
- J. G. McCall (1926)
- J. L. Pounds (1926)
- Queen City Printing Ink Co. (1926)
- Southern Social & Literary Club (1926)
- G. C. Phillips Tractor Co. (1940)
- 201–203: First Trading Co. loans (1940)
- 205: Ida McClusky / Alice Graham music teachers (1940)
- 206–209: McLine School of Speech Arts (Earle McLin 1940)
- North Alabama (Illustrated) (1888) Birmingham: Southern Commercial Publishing Co.