Benjamin Russell High School
|Benjamin Russell High School|
|District||Alexander City Schools|
|Colors||burgundy & gray|
|Location||225 Heard Boulevard map|
Benjamin Russell High School (BRHS) is the sole high school in the Alexander City Schools system, serving just over 1,000 students in grades 10-12 in Alexander City. Shannon Benefield is the current principal.
The school was constructed in 1950, with the entire cost of more than $1 million paid for by the Russell Educational and Charitable Foundation and by Avondale Mills and other local businesses. The effort was led by Robert Russell, who named the school for his father, Benjamin Russell.
Construction of a new campus for Benjamin Russell High School was announced in 2019, with a budget of $55 million. The site for the new school adjoins the Charles E. Bailey Football Stadium at the Charles E. Bailey Sportplex in the southwestern part of the city. The project was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic and complicated by major increases in construction costs. In 2023 the system announced that the school, now anticipated to cost $97 million, would be financed with long-term municipal. bonds. It is expected to open in 2026.
- Eltoro Freeman, CFL linebacker
- Kendall Graveman, MLB pitcher
- Terrell Owens NFL wide receiver
- Jim Phillips, NFL wide receiver
- Kim Price, newspaper publisher
- Myron Sasser, building official
- Bill White, MLB pitcher
- Martevious Young, IFL quarterback
- Marlow, William (July 31, 2023) "$42 million increase in new high school costs." Alexander City Outlook
- Benjamin Russell High School at alexcityschools.net