Bessemer Hall of History
The Bessemer Hall of History is the official museum of the history of Bessemer.
In 1985 the museum moved to the 1916 Alabama Great Southern Depot at 1901–1905 Alabama Avenue, which was renovated by the City for the museum. The official rededication was held on the occasion of the Bessemer Centennial in 1987. The current director is Christopher Eiland, who took the position in 2005.
In 2001 the museum won a $76,000 grant from the Alabama Department of Transportation to fund repairs and refurbishment to the train depot. The project was delayed as money was raised for architectural plans and additional funding was secured from the Bessemer City Council. The disbursement of the state grant was at risk until Bessemer agreed to provide an additional $18,500 to cover cost increases since the plan was first proposed.
Entry to the museum is free and operating hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM. It attracts about 2,000 visitors per year.
- Items excavated from Indian mounds in the Bessemer area
Civil War memorabilia
- Materials from the 28th Alabama Regiment
- An original Confederate battle flag
- A model railroad exhibit showing a recreation of historic Bessemer, housed in a Pullman standard boxcar. (Constructed by the Wrecking Crew).
- A 1928 American LaFrance fire truck used in Birmingham's Fire Station #19, in Vestavia Hills, as a parade vehicle for UA's Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, and as the centerpiece of a short-lived Morris Avenue bar.
- A typewriter that belonged to Adolf Hitler.
- Hazel the Mummy, the purported mummified remains of murderer Hazel Farris.
- Gordon, Robert K. (June 4, 2008) "Bessemer council OKs $18,500 to meet grant for renovation of Bessemer Hall of History." The Birmingham News