Birmingham Brewing Company (1889)
- This article is about the 1890s business. For other uses, see Birmingham Brewing Company.
The business was incorporated on May 27, 1889 by William J. Rushton, Sr. The two brick brewery buildings were constructed for $100,000 at 22nd Street South between Avenue D and Avenue E. The brewery began producing in May 1890, using the Rochester vacuum fermenting process. The company sold its product through a network of brewery-owned saloons and through the Solomon & Levi wholesale company. Competition and economic conditions held the brewery's output to less than 8,000 barrels per year, about half their designed capacity of 15,000 barrels.
A business depression affected the brewery in 1891. Another depression, triggered by a coal miners strike in 1893, forced the company into bankruptcy. Morris Adler & Company was appointed receiver of the property. The brewery remained idle until the Alabama Brewing Company purchased and improved the property in 1897.